A current Cathedral student and two members of the class of 2018 have been honored by the Indiana High School Press Association for work printed or posted on the Megaphone student newspaper last year.

Each year, the press organization sponsors the Harvey Awards, which recognize individual student journalists for their work in categories such as writing, editing, design and photography.

Anna Pohl ’19, the current co-editor-in-chief of the Megaphone, was named the first-place winner in editorial writing in Division II, high schools with enrollments between 1,001 and 2,000.

Mary Stempky ’18 won the first-place award for photography portfolio, a category that requires the photographer to shoot a wide variety of work, from spot news photos to feature to profiles to sports photography.

Tommy Callaghan ’18, who served as the Megaphone’s webmaster for the newspaper website, irishmegaphone.com, earned two statewide honors: second place in social media and third place in online presence.

Both the Megaphone newspaper and Cathedran yearbook were named Hoosier Star finalists in Division II based on newspapers published during the second semester of the 2017-2018 school year and for the 2017 edition of the yearbook.

This marks the fifth straight year that both publications earned Finalist status, and we are so proud of our students and moderator, Tony Willis.